ARCHER2 Weekly Newsletter
By ARCHER2 Service on August 31, 2022
At-Risk Partial Maintenance: From Monday 12th September
Over the next few weeks HPE will be performing essential work on the ARCHER2 system. This work is being undertaken to improve the stability of the system.
HPE have planned this work such that it will not remove ARCHER2 from service completely, but there will be periods when there are a reduced number of compute nodes available for running jobs. Users will always be able to connect to ARCHER2, access filesystems and submit jobs. As the number of compute nodes will be reduced users may experience longer queue times.
The work is scheduled to start on Monday 12th September and at any time a maximum of four cabinets will be removed from service with a possible further four cabinets being drained of work in preparation for being removed from service. On 29th June HPE successfully tested the removal of four cabinets from the ARCHER2 service without it impacting on the remaining cabinets in service. (The ARCHER2 full system is 23 cabinets in total).
Further details will be provided via user mailings and the ARCHER2 Status page but please do get in touch if you have any concerns regarding this work.
Debugging and Optimizing Parallel Codes with Arm Forge - Debugging and DDT
Online webinar Wednesday 31st August 2022 15:00 - 16:00 BST
In this presentation we will provide an overview of Arm Forge, a cross platform, integrated environment for debugging and optimizing parallel codes at any scale. We will provide hands-on demonstrations of how Arm Forge reduces development time, simplifies debugging, and eases application performance enhancement.
Ensuring Program Correctness with Arm DDT
Using sample codes, we will walk through the major capabilities of the debugger to illustrate how DDT can debug applications ranging from a single thread to large scale
- Using Forge as a remote client
- Using semantic analysis tools to catch bugs before you even run the code
- How to use sparklines to visualize variable values across processes and threads
- Illustrate memory debugging to trap array out of bounds errors and memory leaks
- Using the array viewer to visualize multi-dimensional variables
- Using watchpoints to halt execution dependent upon expression values
- Offline debugging for large scale debugging, catching non-deterministic errors and continuous integration
- Trace points, a flexible and deterministic printf alternative
- Modifying the definition of your program without re-building using the Evaluate Window
- Debugging on a GPU (optional)
- Debugging Python (optional)
Details and join link: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/courses/220831-arm-forge-debugging-ddt-vt/
ARCHER2 for Package Users
Online 13 October 2022 10:00 - 16:00 BST
This lesson provides an introduction to using ARCHER2 for users who:
- have already used other HPC systems; and
- want to use pre-installed simulation/modelling packages rather than compiling their own.
The lesson aims to answer the following questions:
- What hardware is available on ARCHER2?
- What does it consist of (login nodes, compute nodes, file systems, backup)?
- How does this impact me as a user?
- How can I access ARCHER2 interactively and transfer data?
- What does the ARCHER2 software environment look like and how do I access software?
- How do I write job submission scripts and submit them to the ARCHER2 scheduler?
- How can I be a good ARCHER2 citizen?
- How can I check what resources I am using and look at historical usage?
- What are the next steps for me using ARCHER2 and how can I get more help?
Full details and registration: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
ARCHER2 Image and Video Competition 2022
Share your images and videos to support excellence and promote the contribution of ARCHER and ARCHER2 to outstanding research. The winner of the competition will be awarded £250.
The winning image or video, along with a selection of other entries, will also be featured on the ARCHER2 website and in EPCC and ARCHER2 publications. Credit will be given to the entrant in all cases.
- Competition Opens: 8th August 2022
- Submission Deadline: 16 September 2022
- Judging: October/November 2022
- Best image : £150
- Best video : £150
- Best early career researcher submission : £150
- Overall winner, selected from the above three winners : additional £100
Full details and entry form: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/community/image-comp/
Access to HPC Call
Access to HPC Call (EPSRC remit only) opened 4th July.
ARCHER2 or Tier-2 computing resource for a maximum duration of one year and a minimum of 4000 CU.
TA Deadline - 20th September 16:00
Submit Deadline - 18th October 16:00
More details an application forms
Recently added Known Issues
The “Known Issues” page of the ARCHER2 Documentation
lists all current open known issues including a description of the issue, its symptoms and any work-arounds.
Upcoming ARCHER2 Training
- Message-passing Programming with MPI, Online, always-open self-service course
- Shared Memory Programming with OpenMP, Online, always-open self-service course
- QM/MM with GROMACS + CP2K, Online, Always open - self-service course
- Debugging and Optimizing Parallel Codes with Arm Forge - Debugging and DDT, Online webinar, Wednesday 31st August 2022 15:00 - 16:00 BST
- Debugging and Optimizing Parallel Codes with Arm Forge - Performance optimization, MAP, and PR, Online webinar, Wednesday 7th September 2022 15:00 - 16:00 BST
- ARCHER2 for Package Users, Online, 13 October 2022 10:00 - 16:00 BST
Further details https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
Recordings of past courses and virtual tutorials can be found here: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/materials/