ARCHER2 Weekly Newsletter
By ARCHER2 Service on September 8, 2021
ARCHER2 Embedded CSE (eCSE) and Early Career eCSE Panel Observers calls
ARCHER2 Embedded CSE (eCSE) call
We are very pleased to announce that the 5th ARCHER2 eCSE call (ARCHER2 eCSE05) is now open for proposals. The deadline for submitting documents for technical evaluation is 16:00 on 5 October 2021 with the final deadline for proposal submission being 16:00 on 26 October 2021.
Embedded CSE (eCSE) support provides funding to the ARCHER2 user community to develop software in a sustainable manner to run on theARCHER2 system. For this call software which results in research which is within the remit of EPSRC is eligible. Funding can be requested for staff located at the institution of the PI, third parties, or can include staff from the centralised CSE support team or a mixture of the
above. Proposals may request effort from between 1 and 12 person months (inclusive).
More details of how to apply are available by following the link to the eCSE calls page from here
together with details of the application and review process, assessment criteria eligibility, etc.
ARCHER2 Early Career eCSE Panel Observers call
The eCSE Panel Meeting is the meeting where eCSE proposals are reviewed and decisions are made on which proposals to fund. As part of our commitment to encouraging and developing Early Career Researchers, we are offering a small number of places to such researchers to attend the
eCSE panel meeting as Early Career Observers. The aim is to give Early Career Researchers a better insight into this competitive selection process, to assist them in the preparation of future funding proposals.
The deadline for applying to attend the panel meeting as an observer is 16:00 on 5 Oct 2021 and details of the call are given here:
eCSE call dates
- Deadline for submitting eCSE05 documents for technical evaluation: 16:00
on Tuesday 5 October 2021
- Deadline for applications to the observer call: 16:00 on Tuesday 5 October 2021
- Deadline for final eCSE05 submission: 16:00 Tuesday 26 October 2021
- A recent webinar can be found here:
which includes a walk through of the submission of a proposal.
ARCHER2 Image and Video Competition 2021
The ARCHER2 Image and Video Competition is your chance to win prizes of £150 for each of
- Best Image
- Best Video
- Best entry from an Early-career researcher
Plus a bonus prize of £100 for the best overall entry from the above three winners.
Show us how you demonstrate “ARCHER/ARCHER2 Enabling Research”
Full details and entry form at https://www.archer2.ac.uk/community/image-comp/
Closing date : 3rd October 2021
HPC-Europa3 Transnational Access visitor programme
Call for applications: next closing date 9th September 2021.
HPC-Europa3 funds collaborative research visits for computational scientists in any discipline which can use High Performance Computing (HPC). Visits can currently be made to research institutes in Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain or the UK. UK-based researchers can benefit in two ways: either by visiting a research group elsewhere in Europe, or by hosting a research visitor from another country.
What does HPC-Europa3 provide?
- Funding for travel, living and accommodation expenses for visits of up to 13 weeks.
- Access to world-class High Performance Computing (HPC) facilities.
- Technical support to help you make best use of the HPC systems.
- Collaborative environment with an expert in your field of research.
Who can apply?
- Researchers of all levels, from postgraduate to full professors.
- Researchers from academia or industry.
- Researchers currently working in a European Union country or Associated State (see http://bit.ly/AssociatedStates for full list of Associated States).
- Researchers may not visit a group in the country where they currently work.
- A small number of places may be available for researchers working outside these countries - please contact email@example.com for more information.
How do I apply?
Apply online at http://www.hpc-europa.org
The next closing date is 9th September 2021. Applicants are likely to receive the decision in the second half of October, so visits should be planned for no earlier than mid-November, but must be complete by 30th April 2022, when the programme ends.
Applications can be submitted at any time. You should receive a decision approximately 6 weeks after the closing date.
We expect there to be one further closing date in November. However, if all places are filled after the September call, there will be no further calls under this programme, and there is currently no new HPC-Europa programme planned. Therefore, applicants are strongly advised to submit their proposal for the September closing date. This also potentially gives an opportunity to resubmit an unsuccessful proposal if the November closing date goes ahead.
For more information and to apply online, visit: http://www.hpc-europa.org/
For overview videos and interviews with recent visitors, see: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9uOpFQGP9V0TQPXFUOgs_A/playlists
Follow HPC-Europa3 on Twitter for project news: https://twitter.com/HPCEuropa3
Upcoming ARCHER2 Training
- Understanding Package Performance, Online, 28 October 2021 09:30 - 16:30 BST
- Message-passing Programming with MPI, Online, always-open self-service course
- Shared Memory Programming with OpenMP, Online, always-open self-service course
Further details https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
New virtual tutorials will be announced soon via: ARCHER2 website: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
Recordings of past virtual tutorials can be found here: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/materials/