ARCHER2 Weekly Newsletter
By ARCHER2 Service on July 14, 2021
Parallel Performance Analysis using Scalasca
Online, Tues 27th and Thurs 29th July 2021 09:30 - 16:30 BST
Scalasca is a software tool that supports the performance optimization of parallel programs by measuring and analyzing their runtime behaviour. It uses execution profiles and traces generated by the community-developed Score-P instrumentation and measurement infrastructure. The analysis identifies potential performance bottlenecks – in particular those concerning communication and synchronization – and offers guidance in exploring their causes.
Scalasca targets mainly scientific and engineering applications based on the programming interfaces MPI and OpenMP, including hybrid applications based on a combination of the two. The tool has been specifically designed for use on large-scale systems, but is also well suited for small- and medium-scale HPC platforms. The software is available for free download under the New BSD open-source license.
This online course, delivered by members of the Scalasca development team, will cover how to use the tool in practice. Attendees are encouraged to analyse the performance of their own applications, although example parallel programs will be made available. Practical exercises will be conducted on the UK National HPC Service ARCHER2, an HPE Cray EX system; attendees will be given accounts on ARCHER2 for the duration of the course.
Further details and registration https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
Upcoming ARCHER2 Training
- Parallel Performance Analysis using Scalasca, Online, Tues 27 and Thurs 29 July 09:30 - 16:30 BST
- Reproducible computational environments using containers - Introduction to Docker and Singularity, Online, 28 - 29 July 2021 10:00 - 16:00 BST
- Introduction to using Firedrake on ARCHER2, Online, 23 August 2021 13:00 - 17:00 BST (12:00 - 16:00 UTC)
- Message-passing Programming with MPI, Online, always-open self-service course
- Shared Memory Programming with OpenMP, Online, always-open self-service course
Further details https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
New virtual tutorials will be announced soon via: ARCHER2 website: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
Recordings of past virtual tutorials can be found here: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/materials/