ARCHER2 Weekly Newsletter
By ARCHER2 Service on February 3, 2021
eCSE ARCHER2 webinar, Online, TODAY
Wednesday 3rd February 2021 15:00 - 16:00 BST
Through a series of regular calls, Embedded CSE (eCSE) support provides funding to the ARCHER2 user community to develop software in a sustainable manner to improve research on the ARCHER2 service. The funding allows the employment of a Research Software Engineer (RSE) to carry out software development of ARCHER2 software within the EPSRC or NERC remits. Calls are issued 3 times per year. The third call is presently open and closes on 16:00 on 16 Mar 2021 with technical evaluation documents due to the service desk by 16:00 on 23 Feb 2021. This Webinar will provide an overview of the eCSE programme and describe the submission process.
This online session is open to all. It will use the Blackboard Collaborate platform.
Details and join link https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
EPCC GPU Hackathon 19-28 April 2021
Deadline for Applications 19th February 2021
EPCC will host a virtual GPU Hackathon and we invite applications from teams of three to six developers to take part.
The EPCC GPU Hackathon is a multi-day event designed to help teams of three to six developers accelerate their own codes on GPUs using a programming model, or machine learning framework of their choice. Each team is assigned mentors for the duration of the event and provides an exciting opportunity for scientists to accelerate their AI research or HPC codes under the guidance of expert mentors from National Labs, Universities and Industry leaders in a collaborative environment.
- Teams are expected to be fluent with the code or project they bring to the event and motivated to make progress during the Hackathon.
- No advanced GPU skills required, but teams are expected to know the basics of GPU programming and profiling at the event. A collection of GPU lectures, tutorials, and labs are available for all participants at no no fee (see: https://www.gpuhackathons.org/technical-resources). Please contact organisers for more information to help you prepare for the hackathon.
GPU Compute Resource:
Teams attending the event will be given access to the GPU nodes on Cirrus (https://www.cirrus.ac.uk/) for the duration of the Hackathon. If participants prefer they can use their own GPU resource at the event.
Further details can be found at: https://gpuhackathons.org/event/epcc-gpu-hackathon-2021 or please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
ARCHER2 Embedded CSE (eCSE) call - Deadline extended
We are very pleased to announce that the 3rd ARCHER2 eCSE call (ARCHER2
eCSE03) is now open for proposals. The deadline for submitting documents for technical evaluations is now 23 February 2021,
with the final deadline for proposal submission being 16 March 2021.
Embedded CSE (eCSE) support provides funding to the ARCHER2 user community to develop software in a sustainable manner, to run on the
ARCHER2 system. For this call software which results in research which is within the remit of EPSRC or NERC is eligible.
More details of how to apply are available by following the link to the eCSE calls page from here
together with details of the application and review process, assessment criteria eligibility, etc. Please note that the process for applying for an eCSE project under ARCHER2 has been updated since the ARCHER eCSE programme. More details available via the above link.
The 3rd ARCHER2 eCSE call (eCSE03) opened on: 8 December 2020
Deadline for submitting documents for technical evaluation: 16:00
Tuesday 23 February 2021
Deadline for final submission: 16:00 Tuesday 16 March 2021
HPC-Europa3 Transnational Access visitor programme
Call for applications: next closing date 18th February 2021.
HPC-Europa3 funds collaborative research visits for computational scientists in any discipline which can use High Performance Computing (HPC). Visits can be made to research institutes in Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain or the UK. UK-based researchers can benefit in two ways: either by visiting a research group elsewhere in Europe, or by hosting a research visitor from another country.
Coronavirus travel restrictions: Applicants will be informed of the selection panel’s decisions in late March or early April, so visits should be planned for no earlier than May 2021. Restrictions on international travel are changing constantly and it is difficult to predict how this may affect research visits in summer 2021. Visit dates are flexible, and the dates proposed in the form can of course be changed if need be. Nevertheless, all visits must be complete by 31st October 2021, when the funding is currently due to end.
What does HPC-Europa3 provide?
- Funding for travel, living and accommodation expenses for visits of up to 13 weeks.
- Access to world-class High Performance Computing (HPC) facilities.
- Technical support to help you make best use of the HPC systems.
- Collaborative environment with an expert in your field of research.
Who can apply?
- Researchers of all levels, from postgraduate to full professors.
- Researchers from academia or industry.
- Researchers currently working in a European Union country or Associated State (see http://bit.ly/AssociatedStates for full list of Associated States).
- Researchers may not visit a group in the country where they currently work.
- A small number of places may be available for researchers working outside these countries - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How do I apply?
Apply online at http://www.hpc-europa.org
The next closing date is 18th February 2021. Closing dates are held 4 times per year. Applications can be submitted at any time. You should receive a decision approximately 6 weeks after the closing date.
For more information and to apply online, visit: http://www.hpc-europa.org/
Follow us on Twitter for project news: https://twitter.com/HPCEuropa3
Other upcoming ARCHER2 Training
- eCSE ARCHER2 webinar, Online, Wednesday 3rd February 2021 15:00 - 16:00 BST
- HPC Carpentry, Online, 22 - 23 February 2021 10:00 - 16:00
- Introduction to HPC for Life Scientists, Online, 22nd-24th March 2021 10:00 - 16:00 GMT (11:00 - 17:00 CET)
Further details https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
New virtual tutorials will be announced soon via: ARCHER2 website: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/#upcoming-training
Recordings of past virtual tutorials can be found here: https://www.archer2.ac.uk/training/materials/