ARCHER2 Weekly Newsletter
By ARCHER2 Service on May 15, 2023
- Major software upgrade: Fri 19th May 1400 BST - w/b Mon 12th June
- ARCHER2 User Forum - Wednesday 7th June 2023 14:00 - 15:00 BST
- Recently added known issues
- Upcoming ARCHER2 training
Major software upgrade
The major software upgrade started on Friday 19th May and is progressing well.
During this time ARCHER2 is unavailable and all user data (
/general) is inaccessible. We have also disabled some SAFE functionality as the actions cannot be completed without ARCHER2 access. This includes approving new user accounts and viewing or changing storage quotas.
For EPSRC projects, we will extend the current allocations to compensate for the ARCHER2 outage and the extensions will be in place when ARCHER2 is returned to service.
Details of the upgrade which will be updated throughout the upgrade process can be found on the upgrade webpage:
Following the upgrade, we would advise users to recompile and test your codes as the new software will be based on a new operating system and new versions of compilers and libraries. The ARCHER2 CSE team will be recompiling and testing all centrally installed software. There will be no Python 2 installation available as part of supported software following the upgrade. Python 3 will continue to be fully supported.
Online User Forum: Wednesday 7th June 1400 BST
An online User Forum will take place on Wednesday 7th June at 1400 BST. EPCC and HPE Staff will present information regarding the upgrade including new features and changes to the user environment. It will also give you an opportunity to ask any questions to HPE and EPCC staff.
Details of the User Forum including instructions on how to connect
If you have any specific questions or topics you would like us to cover then please send them to us.
Recently added known issues
The “Known Issues” page of the ARCHER2 Documentation https://docs.archer2.ac.uk/known-issues/ lists all current open known issues including a description of the issue, its symptoms and any work-arounds.
- No recent issues
Upcoming ARCHER2 Training
- Message-passing Programming with MPI, Online, always-open self-service course
- Shared Memory Programming with OpenMP, Online, always-open self-service course
- QM/MM with GROMACS + CP2K, Online, Always open - self-service course
- ARCHER2 User Forum, Online, Wednesday 7th June 2023 14:00 - 15:00 BST
- Coupling LAMMPS and OpenFOAM for Multi-Scale Models, Online, Wednesday 19th July 2023 14:00 - 16:00 BST
Further details of upcoming training
We always welcome researchers wishing to present their work in a webinar - please contact the Service Desk if you would be interested in presenting your work.